Friday, October 12, 2012

Best of Ilocos Norte: Bangui Windmills


The only place in the whole Philippines that harnesses wind power as energy source. It is definitely one of the places one must visit when you're in Ilocos Norte. From the Pan-Philippine Highway or Manila North Road you can see from afar twenty of these windmills that are lined up along the shores of Bangui town. Our driver said that it stands 70 meters tall and it provide almost 60% of Ilocos Norte's energy. There is also another wind farm under construction at the nearby town of Burgos and I guess, the plan is to eliminate the province dependency on coal and diesel plants. 
Totally genius. ^_^. 

Bangui Windmill, Ilocos Norte Philippines
I can totally vouch for how windy the place is, we couldn't get a proper photo without our hair getting blown off everywhere. My husband has to wear his flat cap and strategically place his hand at my back to hold most of my hair since I don't have anything to tie it with (he's so sweet). But, even with his help, the wind won this battle. Thanks for trying babe, you're such a sweetheart. ^_^


Rows of souvenir stores line up here. My mother and my nephew had fun finding bargains to give away. This is actually the cheapest place to buy souvenirs so don't bother looking at other places. We tried to haggle and got about maximum of PHP20 discount for the things that we bought. Nevertheless, the souvenirs are worth it since most vendors claim that the wooden windmills and lighthouses are made up of Narra wood, which is a very expensive and a very strong type of wood (and actually illegal to cut down in the Philippines - so I'm not sure if what they say is true). 



No comments:

Post a Comment