Saturday, October 13, 2012

Best of Ilocos Norte: Paoay Church: UNESCO Heritage site


Paoay church is famous for being one of the four remaining baroque churches in the Philippines listed as a UNESCO Heritage site. I've been able to visit San Agustin church in Intramuros, Manila when I was still in college and last year was able to visit Miag-ao Church in Iloilo when we went backpacking there. I wanted to visit Santa Maria Church in Ilocos Sur but I was not able to because of time constraints. Oh well, it will be one of the many reasons I would want to go back North, isn't it? ^_^.

Paoay Church, Paoay, Ilocos Norte, Philippines
There is actually a legend or more of a hearsay saying that if you and your husband/wife have your picture taken in front of the Paoay church, you'll stay together forever. Now, I don't know if it's real and have no idea when or how that legend started, but I did not miss the chance to do it considering I have my husband with me when I made this trip. ^_^ I admit, I am more interested to that legend than adding another UNESCO heritage site in my travel list. Keeping a marriage is a lot of hard work and I'll grab every little help I can get. ^_^.

Paoay Church, Ilocos Norte, Philippines
I must confess as well but I was really disappointed with how the church looks like inside. The ceiling is....well, there's actually no ceiling at all when we went there. You can see the tin roof and the wooden beams that holds it. It really ain't a pretty sight. I just pray that some good hearted person could do something about it. I think that with the number of tourists this church lures in every year from all around, it deserves a bit of help so people can really enjoy going to mass here, it is after all a place of worship and not just some dilapidated building. I hope the government could do something to preserve it, not just on the outside but the inside as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment