Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Notes from Sandbar Island beach

...."I slept soundly hearing the crashing waves but woke up at 5:28AM because I couldn't hear them anymore.  Nervousness rushed over me because I knew that it is a bad sign when you don't hear anything, especially if you're in an island. And, experiencing a 6.9 earthquake a day before with continuous aftershocks surely didn't help calm my nerves quickly ---- 
my first thought of the day is a tsunami hitting this small island between Panay and Negros. 
Good thing, I was able to rattle around my half-asleep self and remembered what Mang Sonny, the caretaker, said last night --- low tides in the morning. And, true enough, when I opened the wooden window of our humble shanty, the water had receded so much that all I can see are some rocks and seaweeds left behind by the ocean we have swam at yesterday.


sweet, sweet hammock, Sandbar Island beach, Iloilo City
 ".......I am reserving my conclusions of what this trip to Sandbar Island beach resort will be about, I only knew that I wanted an off the beaten path experience with Dennis during our Iloilo rendezvous, I am not even sure if this experience will be even worth sharing at all, right now I am just trying to absorb everything I hear, see and feel."

low tide early morning
"So far, I still feel lost trying to figure out what this small island three hours north of Iloilo has to offer or what I can learn from it."

breakfast by the shore
 ".......Up north of Iloilo lies Concepcion town. Blessed with 13 islands. Sandbar island beach being one of themRight now, boats after boats cruise by, fishermen's boats most of the time.  It is clear that fishing is the main source of living here. Most are on their way out to the open sea as far as Romblon or Masbate (I was told). The noises that the motor boats made actually soothes me and I did feel a little embarrassed being the only one not doing anything this early morning except write. I feel everybody is so busy starting up their day. I saw a couple of  young men digging up clams in the nearby Mangrove forest, and even the caretakers who were doing their morning sweep called me over to check out a giant squid that had been washed in the shore when the tides pulled back. They said that the squid will be cooked and fed to the dogs. I guess island life is not as laid back as I thought it would be. Everybody has to earn their keep around here."





".....There's not much activity on the island for tourists here, except for visiting the other islands which I am excited to experience later on this day. Recalling Mang Sonny's many stories last night about island living. I must admit. It is the people that really makes this place a good spot to stay and visit. And I somehow, got a little bit of impression that Ilonggo's are truly bubbly and hospitable by nature -- I am just not sure if the people of Concepcion, Iloilo are aware how sincerely nice and accommodating they are compared to the other people from other provinces."
 ---



"...... The sand is not powdery white but a bit off-white. Nevertheless it is still nice on the feet. And, even if the island does not have rich coral reefs that would be a big hit for snorkelers, it sure does have clear waters that is ideal for swimming. My take? I still prefer soft sand than sharp rocks when I take a dip. But yes, it too, has those eyesore garbages that lands on its shores from time to time. The locals tries hard to clean up as much as they could in the morning but if it comes from the Iloilo mainland as they say it does, the morning clean up will in no doubt gets longer and longer by the day. 

Sandbar Island beach, Concepcion, Iloilo

"...But, I do appreciate my time here with Dennis, going back to the basics with him. Sleeping inside a bamboo nipa hut, living off the seafood that the locals catches and sell so cheaply, preparing our food over a make-shift kitchen and cooking our meals in an open fire over a small stone stove." 











No TV, no refrigerator, no internet here, not even an outlet to charge our phones and camera, only powered-generator light bulbs sparks from 6pm and automatically shuts off at 10PM. Ahh! I love it! I think I would want to come back here even if it doesn't have the white-powdered sands of Boracay or the convenience of commercialized establishments and the many comforts a hotel resort offers. The idea of being unplugged from the world is enough reason for me. 








But, I don't deny the fact that this place is slowly starting to catch up with the times. And, the locals seems so eager to welcome this change. Living in a fast paced environment, I know I should be able to fully understand that change is inevitable. 
I guess, maybe, I was just hoping that this place will preserve its way of life and stay like it is for just a little bit longer........" 


-- notes from my journal on our 2nd day at the Sandbar island beach.


How we got there:

From Iloilo city town proper, we proceeded to Tagbak terminal by riding a Leganes jeepney from SM Iloilo City. Travel time is about 10 to 20 minutes. Upon arriving at the Terminal, we hopped on an HPQ bus going to Concepcion, Iloilo. Bus is non-airconditioned. Fare is roughly PHP200 per person. Travel time is about 3 to 4 hours. First trip is at 6:30AM and last trip is 5:30PM; bus interval is about 25 to 30 minutes or so. Upon arrival at Concepcion town, we proceeded to the tourism office and pay the environmental fee. We were greeted by our guide (contact Mang Sonny Eusala) then walk towards the Concepcion market to buy what we needed for the island. We rode a pre-arranged boat ride to the island. Roundtrip costs about PHP1,500 for 4 persons max; PHP2,000 for 10 persons and PHP2,500 for 20 persons. Travel time is about 30 minutes.

Contact person:

Mr. Sonny Eusala - 09068197516


PLEASE READ:
Although the people of Iloilo are generally very nice, helpful and accommodating, we were told of a couple of theft incidents that happened in the island and was very unfortunate to be a victim of one. My husband's company phone got stolen on our last day, so please don't leave your things unattended. I'd recommend that you bring a padlock for your bags if you must or always bring valuable items with you when you go island hopping. And, always, always, lock your nipa hut when you leave or go to the bathroom or when you explore the island. Ask Mang Sonny for a padlock or better yet, use your own. Remember: you can never be too careful. I hope that you won't dismiss coming to this place because of what happened to us. I just hope that the culprit will soon be found. ^_^


1 comment:

  1. You are so right Shani, it is a beautiful place. :)
    Thank you for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete