Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Travel Bataan: Experience The Last Stand at Mt. Samat

Everybody was enthusiastic about the long weekend because of the first ever official Chinese New Year holiday in the Philippines. Me and my husband also took advantage of the free time and went on a short trip as well. We decided to accept my sister's invitation to visit the whole family at Olongapo City and then did a side trip to one of the most historic mountain of Central Luzon, Mt. Samat of Bataan.

Travel bucketlist: Mt. Samat - checked :)


There is one thing I've got to say about this place -- it is so worth seeing.
As a Filipino in my 30s and growing up a mere 1.5 hours away from this mountain, it is embarrassing to admit that it was my first time to visit the place and pay my respect to this shrine and what it stands for. It has always been in my travel bucket list but I felt I did not really exert any effort to make it my priority. Now, I am very happy that I have done this trip at the beginning of the year. It sort of set the mood for my travel list of 2012. I realized that I should try to push those historical sites up my list especially those that involves a lot of climbing or walking (I figure, I have to take advantage of our functioning knees while we're still young) ^_^.

the famous Mt. Samat cross
The large marble tablet telling the heartbreaking battle of Bataan


How we got there:
We didn't bring our car on this trip. We started our journey riding a jeepney to Dinalupihan, Bataan, about 45 minutes from Olongapo City. From Olongapo city just go to bagong palengke and ask around, the jeepney's color scheme is white and green. The fare costs about PHP28 per head. If you're coming from Manila, just follow the sign that goes to Balanga and go straight on the fork passing the big monument at Layac.  We got off at Dinalupihan town, right in front of Jollibee, jeepneys with Balanga via Highway signs waits for passengers there, we climbed onboard these jeepneys and it took us to the Balanga central terminal (last stop), about 1 hour and about PHP35 per person. From there, there are actually two ways on how to get to the jump off point of the Mt. Samat shrine - one can choose to ride a jeepney to Bagac or a minibus to Morong, both will pass by the jump off point. We opted for the mini bus since it's more comfortable, fare is only PHP15 pesos per person. The jeepney and minibus fares are actually easy in the pockets, but the tricycles that goes up the mountain costs PHP100 per person and an additional 60 each if you want them to take you down the mountain. Your haggling skills will be tested on this one. For those who have the stamina and courage to do an 11KM trek down, you may opt to go down the mountain by foot as we did. My parents were shocked when they learned we went down on foot, we must've looked silly to them but we didn't mind. Actually, it was one of the highlights of our trip. Going down that great big mountain made the experience more fun and unique for me and my husband. The mountain did not just offer beautiful sceneries but it also made me think that I or we (my husband and I) are stronger than we think we are. And I personally had some movie-like flashes in my mind of what it must've been like for our soldiers during WWII when they were standing on the very same ground I am walking on knowing they were surrounded by enemies. It seems a little eerie, but the walk down made me appreciate Mt. Samat more.

MUST READ TIPS: To those willing to go on foot, make sure that you do this when there's still light, it's a 1.5 hr trek down so make sure to go down before 3:30PM. Travel lightly, bring plenty of water and fresh towel or t-shirt and lastly, arm your skins with insect repellant.

Here are some of our pictures while travelling:


The Jollibee branch at Dinalupihan


 The Balanga Via Hi-way jeepney from Dinalupihan

Balanga central terminal.


Two ways to get to Mt. Samat Shrine - via Bagac (jeepney) or via Morong (mini-bus).
Bagac fare (PHP20)/ Morong fare (PHP15)



We sat near the driver, we don't want to get lost. ^_^


Our lunch: locally baked bread from a panaderya at Olongapo City. Please note that most establishments are closed this time in lieu of the holiday so make sure to stock up on food and drinks for the long journey. ^_^


Enroute to Mt. Samat - the mountain from the minibus window. ^_^



Mt. Samat, sits still in the heart of Pilar town, there is a big sign on the right side of the road if you're coming from Layac, Abucay or Balanga town so you can't miss it.


the Dambana ng Kagitingan (Shrine of Valor) arc
I would encourage everyone to take the time to visit this place, not only to take pictures but to pay the respect due to the men and women who fought hard to get the freedom that we are happily enjoying today. To learn a thing or two about wars, its impact, why it happened and what we can help do to prevent it from happening again. Visit the museum at the shrine to learn and appreciate the heroes who have lived and died at Mt. Samat, read the heartbreaking letter of Gen. MacArthur to the President of the United States when he finally surrendered Bataan. And, if we can, share the experience to the younger generation better yet, teach it to our children and grandchildren. I also would like to express my big disappointment to those tourists and locals who goes here and leave their trashes lying on the same ground where many heroes have died for our generation.
All I can say is: Shame on you! 

trash at Mt. Samat - =(

trashes at the side of the road =(

On the lighter side, it is true that the best thing about traveling is not the destination but the journey itself. This has been a wonderful journey for me and my husband. I have learned to not be comfortable when traveling, to not be lazy to walk or climb or jump or ride those ordinary buses and non-airconditioned jeepneys, they truly have their own rewards - it keeps you on your toes, makes you more grounded and sometimes it does make things more interesting. ^_^

me trying to do a jump shot in the middle of nowhere ^_^

just trying to enjoy the journey

we discovered a Japanese shrine on the side of the road on our way down

Dedicated to the Japanese soldiers who died in the mountain
Finally, the quote that stayed on my mind while going down that mountain, my souvenir: